It is so easy to make and so tasty to sip that you cannot stop sipping it !
Lotus root soup is one of my family’s favourites. We can have it a few times a week and still savour it. Just throw all the ingredients into the pot and boil for an hour. It is that quick and easy ! Lotus root is well known for its health benefits of reducing heat in one's body and relieves constipation.
about 600g (1 ½ Ib) of lotus root
about 400g of pork ribs or chicken ribs
3 tablespoon of raw peanuts (with skin)
10 red dates
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 tablespoon of soya sauce (optional)
Black pepper powder
1. Remove the outer skin of the lotus root.
2. Slice the lotus root as thin as possible.
3. Boil half pot of water
4. When the water is boiling, add in the chicken bone.
5. Wait till the water is boiling, then add in the sliced lotus root, red dates and the raw peanuts.
6. The water should be enough to just cover all the ingredients. Add more water if necessary.
7. Full boil for 5 minutes and turn to low heat.
8. Simmer for 1 to 1.5 hour.
9. Add salt, soya sauce (optional) and black pepper before serving.
Health Benefit of Lotus Roots
Lotus root is known for its medicinal values. Some of its health benefits are :
1) Stop diarrhoea.
2) Reduces the heat in the body. Patients with high fever can drink lotus root juice cold.
3) Improves one’s appetite.
4) Rich in iron, vitamins B and C.
5) Rich fibre content of lotus root stimulates peristalsis and relieves constipation.
6) Drinking 2 to 3 glasses of lotus root juice a day may stop blood vomiting caused by bleeding of the oesophagus and stomach, discharging blood in the faeces due to bleeding of the rectum, intestines or stomach, nose bleeding or gum bleeding.
The text and all images on this page, unless otherwise indicated, are owned by Ingenira who hereby asserts her copyright on the material. Permission must be granted by the author in writing prior to copy or republish this article in print or online. However, please feel free to copy the first paragraph with a link back to this page. Thank you.
© Ingenira 2011