Some of the Turnip Health Benefits are :
- Relieves sore throats and bronchitis
- Helps with iron absorption
- Reduces mucus
- Improves asthma
- Reduces arthritis pain
Turnips are an excellent source of vitamin C, B6, E, riboflavin, folic acid, fibre, manganese, pantothenic acid, and copper. They are also a good source of minerals such as thiamine, potassium, niacin, and magnesium.
Here is the homemade version of an easy and tasty turnip soup recipe :
375g (13 oz) of chicken ribs or pork ribs
450g ( 1 Ib) of ham
2 scallions or green onions
1 small slice of ginger
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper powder
½ tablespoon rice wine
½ tablespoon light soy sauce
1) Wash the pork or chicken, and cut it into about 2 inches pieces.
2) Boil half port of water.
3) Add the chicken and boil the chicken for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.
4) Peel and wash turnip. Cut the turnip into thin slices.
5) Wash ham. Boil Water and scald the ham briefly in the boiling water.
6) When cool, cut meat into large thin slices, the thinner the better.
7) Wash scallions or green onions. Cut out and discard the scallion bulb. Cut the stalk into thin slices.
8) Peel the ginger and cut it into pieces.
9) Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok and stir fry the scallion and ginger until fragrant.
10) Add turnip slices and stir fry turnip until half-cooked.
11) Add broth and bring to boil.
12) Add ham and seasonings.
13) Cover and simmer the soup until it whitens.
Some people like to add the following to the soup for the distinct taste :
1) Dried squid
2) Raw peanuts
The text and all images on this page, unless otherwise indicated, are owned by Ingenira who hereby asserts her copyright on the material. Permission must be granted by the author in writing prior to copy or republish this article in print or online. However, please feel free to copy the first paragraph with a link back to this page. Thank you.
© Ingenira 2011